I was initially thinking of pursuing a masters and then maybe a phd. And now after reading this article I'm having second thoughts T_T.
Fuck you (with all due respect).
I hope this goes well.

Comments (6)

Hello! I don't understand! A good Master's degree or PhD that you like and can afford would generally improve your chances of doing something interesting in life later on.
Explain yourself!
Which subject btw?
OK, computer architecture I imagine based on LinkedIn. Why are young people investing that in 2024 I don't understand, haven't you guys heard of something called "the end of Moore's law"?
Bonjour!
> Explain yourself!
"Video 2. Freeman Dyson - Why I don't like the PhD system (95/157) by Web of Stories (2016) Source." "He never did a PhD, and said that academia was a waste of time, and that you can get as much done by working part time a decent job and doing your research part time, since you skip all the bullshit of academia like this."
I still want to pursue higher education but this made me think about the bad side of academia at a higher level.
> Which subject btw?
What you imagined pretty much (Computer Architecture), but I'm also interested in Operating Systems and programming languages. So if I were to go for higher education it would be around these.
> Why are young people investing that in 2024...
I was thinking more from the perspective of "hey I like this subject, let's see if it has more interesting topics to explore..." so I didn't care about Moore's law much. Hehe.
But I'm also looking at what Onur Mutlu is doing in bioinformatics and it looks cool.
This might not be the best place to say this, but I want to thank you for this github.com/cirosantilli/linux-kernel-module-cheat (and various stackoverflow posts where I keep seeing you). Helped me during my internship in understanding how gem5 works.
🙇
I agree you should do something because it is cool. It's just that to me something can only be cool if "it is fucking revolutionary". Though perhaps OurBigBook is a notable counter example lol
And glad to hear that my posts helped :-)
And yes, academia is broken beyond belief, like the rest of education.
But a PhD with the intention of doing something cool next not necessarily in academia like working in a research department or trying to create a startup is not so bad I'd say. But you have to find a good one of course.