This was the major final step of fully integrating the OurBigBook CLI into the dynamic website (besides fixing some nasty bugs that escaped passed by me from the previous newsletter).
The implementation was done by "simply" reusing scopes, e.g.:
cirosantilli's article about
cirosantilliand full ID
That on the website is equivalent to a local file structure of:
The problem is that a bunch of subdirectory scope operations were broken locally as well, as it simply wasn't a major use case. But now they became a major use case for , so I fixed them.
Added font awesome icons. github.com/ourbigbook/ourbigbook/issues/151
Didn't manage to subset, but so be it for now: stackoverflow.com/questions/62395038/how-can-i-export-only-one-character-from-ttf-woff-file-to-avoid-load-unnecessa/71197892#71197892
Now that we can reliably split files at will with
\Include, I finally added this feature.
This means while developing a website locally with the OurBigBook CLI, if you have a bunch of files with an error in one of them, your first run will run slowly until the error:
but further runs will blast through the files that worked, skipping all files that have sucessfully converted:
extract_ids README.ciro extract_ids README.ciro finished in 73.82836899906397 ms extract_ids art.ciro extract_ids art.ciro finished in 671.1738419979811 ms extract_ids ciro-santilli.ciro extract_ids ciro-santilli.ciro finished in 1009.6256089992821 ms extract_ids science.ciro error: science.ciro:13686:1: named argument "parent" given multiple times extract_ids science.ciro finished in 1649.6193730011582 ms
so you can fix file by file and move on quickly.
extract_ids README.ciro extract_ids README.ciro skipped by timestamp extract_ids art.ciro extract_ids art.ciro skipped by timestamp extract_ids ciro-santilli.ciro extract_ids ciro-santilli.ciro skipped by timestamp extract_ids science.ciro
More details at: cirosantilli.com/ourbigbook#no-render-timestamp
This was not fully trivial to implement because we had to rework how duplicate IDs are checked. Previously, we just nuked the DB every time on a directory conversion, and then repopulated everything. If a duplicated showed up on a file, it was a duplicate.
But now that we are not necessarily extracing IDs from every file, we can't just nuke the database anymore, otherwise we'd lose the information. Therefore, what we have to do is to convert every file, and only at the end check the duplicates.
Managed to do that with a single query as documented at: stackoverflow.com/questions/71235548/how-to-find-all-rows-that-have-certain-columns-duplicated-in-sequelize/71235550#71235550
I have also squatted
OurBigBookon all major social media handles for near future usage, e.g.: twitter.com/ourbigbook and so on.
I was going to do this sooner or later, it was inevitable, but the timing was partly triggered due to noticing that English speakers (and likely many other nationalities) are not able to easily read/hear/pronounce "Ciro".
After breaking production and sweating for a bit hotfixing (not that anyone uses the website yet), I decided to be smart and created a staging server: ourbigbook-staging.herokuapp.com. Now I can blow that server up as I wish without afecting users. Documented at: cirosantilli.com/ourbigbook/staging-deployment
After something broke on the website due to SQLite vs PostgreSQL inconsistencies and took me a day to figure it out, I finally decided to update the test system so that
OURBIGBOOK_POSTGRES=true npm testwill run the tests on PostgreSQL.
Originally, these were being run only on SQLite, which is the major use case for OurBigBook CLI, which came before the website.
But the website runs on PostgreSQL, so it is fundamental to test things in PostgreSQL as well.
One of the key advances of the previous update was to show include headers on the table of contents.
This was to allow splitting source files freely.
While that goal was in principle achieved in that commit, when I went ahead to split the huge index of cirosantilli.com into multiple files, I notice several bugs that took a week to fix.
After all of these were solved, I finally managed to split the README at: github.com/cirosantilli/cirosantilli.github.io/commit/84c8a6e7fdbe252041accfb7a06d9b7462287131 and keep the previous desired output. You can now see that the README contains just:
\Include[ciro-santilli] \Include[science] \Include[mathematics] \Include[technology] \Include[art]
This split led to a small positive modification of the output as follows. Previously, a section such as "Quantum Electrodynamics" would have been present in the monolithic README.ciro as:
If you visited cirosantilli.com/quantum-electrodynamics, you would see see a link to the "nosplit" version, which would link you back to cirosantilli.com#quantum-electrodynamics, but that is not great, since this is was a humongous page with all of the README.ciro, and took long to display.
= Quantum electrodynamics
After the split,
= Quantum electrodynamicsis present under
science.ciro, and the nosplit version is the more manageable cirosantilli.com/science#quantum-electrodynamics.
The key changes that were missing for that to happen were: