The key is to define only the minimum number of measures: if you define more definitions become over constrained and could be inconsistent.
Learning the modern SI is also a great way to learn some interesting Physics.
Great overview of the earlier history of unit standardization.
Gives particular emphasis to the invention of gauge blocks.
web.archive.org/web/20181119214326/https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/CGPM-2018/26th-CGPM-Resolutions.pdf gives it in raw:
The breakdown is:
- the unperturbed ground state hyperfine transition frequency of the caesium-133 atom is 9 192 631 770 Hz
- the speed of light in vacuum c is 299 792 458 m/s
- the Planck constant h is 6.626 070 15 × J s
- the elementary charge e is 1.602 176 634 × C
- the Boltzmann constant k is 1.380 649 × J/K
- the Avogadro constant NA is 6.022 140 76 × mol
- the luminous efficacy of monochromatic radiation of frequency 540 × 1012 Hz, Kcd, is 683 lm/W,
- actually use some physical constant:
- arbitrary definitions based on the above just to match historical values as well as possible:
the Boltzmann constant k is 1.380 649 × J/KArbitrarily defines temperature from previously defined energy (J) to match historical values.
the Avogadro constant NA is 6.022 140 76 × mol
the luminous efficacy of monochromatic radiation of frequency 540 × 1012 Hz, Kcd, is 683 lm/WArbitrarily defines the Candela in terms of previous values to match historical records. The most useless unit comes last as you'd expect.
TODO how does basing it on the elementary charge help at all? Can we count individual electrons going through a wire? www.nist.gov/si-redefinition/ampere/ampere-quantum-metrology-triangle by the NIST explains that is it basically due to the following two quantized solid-state physics phenomena/experiments that allows for extremely precise measurements of the elementary charge:
Unit of electric current.
Affected by the ampere in the 2019 redefinition of the SI base units.
Unit of mass.
Measures weight from a voltage.
TODO why does this have more energy than the hyperfine split of the hydrogen line given that it is further from the nucleus?
Highlighted at the Origins of Precision by Machine Thinking (2017).
A series of systems usually derived from the International System of Units that are more convenient for certain applications.